Experiences with UnrealEngine 4?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Matthias Buehler Matthias Buehler 07/04/2015 at 4:11 pm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Zorko
    Zorko
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to kick things off with a question(s) – Are you using UnrealEngine 4? What do you like, dislike?

Do you have any samples you can share?

Thank you.

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hi Zorko,

Welcome to our forum!

Sadly, I personally have no experience with Unreal yet. I have just recently installed it and would like to kick it off too, but from a bit of research, some things I’d like to do are only possible with C++ coding, which I can’t.

But yes, if there’s more people coming on board here, that will be very interesting!

Matt

Zorko
    Zorko
    Participant

Let’s have a play with some test data. I have a typical data from NZ city council and I would like to see what result you can get. It has only 42 building footprints with lots of attributes. To extrude use HEIGHTMAJ attribute (just for consistency). Data is New Zealand Transverse Mercator projection.

When I export those models to FBX using:

models
    no terrain
    do not merge any meshes
    global offset 0,0,0
    merge vertices
    merge normals
    merge texture coords
    triangulate faces with holes
    do not include materials
    binary file type

I can preview FBX file in AutoDesk’s FBX viewer 2013.3

In UnrealEngine 4.7.3 I am importing FXB file as static FBX mesh with options:

Auto generate collisions
    Import Uniform scale 100

Upon import a message says “has degenerate tangent bases which will result in incorrect shading”. It also complains about
    smoothing.

Using drag & drop I place mesh in level and when zoomed to it (like in Unity use ‘F’ key in viewport) I can zoom to extent. Using 4 views layout distances appear correct. The problem is that mesh handles are miles away and manipulation becomes impossible.

If you can tell me (or show me) what am I doing wrong I would very much appreciate it.

FGDB and FBX files are attached.

Thank you.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Zorko Zorko.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Zorko
    Zorko
    Participant

Update

I made some progress with this example. In CE I have moved shapes to scene origin, regenerated models and exported
    to FBX using same settings like in first export.

Once you import the FBX, double click on asset, set the Collision Complexity to ‘Use Complex Collisions as Simple’ to enable walking between buildings.

Now I can see buildings where I want them to be and they are correct size and I can walk around.

CE is moving pivot point to the scene origin but models are far away. Do you have the same problem?

Thanks.

Attachments:

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hey ..

Using global offset 0,0,0

is not good. You need to press the center button. Because the buildings need to be moved to the cartesian origin, where Unreal scenes typically live. Otherwise, you run into the ‘wobble’ issus (display precision issue).
    I typically click CENTER once, then edit the y component back to 0 so I have no elevation change. You’ll get some pretty big numbers in X and Z. (Note that CE is yUp).

Can you maybe record a little youtube video on how you do all steps?

Thanks for the data.. This is a cool usecase!

Matt
    Cheers!
    Matt

Zorko
    Zorko
    Participant

Well, this is now one of the RTM moments… I have assumed offset is automatically applied and new center is at 0,0,0.

Quick test shows everything working (things I tried so far) much better. Now onto more interesting stuff – LODs, textures/materials…

Attachments:

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Awesome.

Glad that worked.

Keep us posted with news!

Matt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.