What kind of training is availbe

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BigCity 13/04/2016 at 9:14 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

BigCity
    Participant

I downloaded an orthoimagery of the area I’m interested in creating. I don’t have any backround in GIS. I’m a license Real Estate salesperson and would like to bring a different way to showcase property in my industry. As a real estate agent I notice my industry haven’t taking advantage of technology to help educate clients with investing in real estate. So I purchase city engine to start on my idea but lack experience with using it.

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hi,

CityEngine has some great applications in real estate. I can easily name a few on top of my head.

We have some training agreements with multiple Esri Distributors and offer international training ourselves, for multiple industries.

CityEngine is a very technical application (e.g. preferredly with some knowledge in 3d graphics in general and/or code scripting), which means for any work you will need a good technical base, for which we can provide the training. Nevertheless, if you would not want to get into the technicalities yourself, we can give inputs on alternatives.

Where are you located?

Please let me know.

Kind greetings,
    Matt

BigCity
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback I’m located in Pennsylvania USA. I have a CADfile in ArcMap that have building footprints street network and street address. The problem is I don’t have a coordinate georeference on the CADfile to convert to a shapefile which I would import to city engine. The shapefile I have in CityEngine I don’t know how to add building footprints or create CGA rule files to extrude the lots in the shapefile

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hi,

You can import non-georeferenced CAD data into CityEngine with dxf. Make sure you delete ALL other elements or layers that are not polygons or polylines from the dxf file since CE won’t read those anyway.

Once you have the dxf file in CityEngine, the question is what your use cases are. Many are possible, but you may be interested in certain things. Please let me know what specifically you would like to achieve.

Also, please let me know which version of CityEngine you have, Basic or Advanced.

Matt

BigCity
    Participant

Hello Matthias I have city engine basic with a 60 day trail of ArcGIS 10.3. I have a shapefile in city engine but don’t have the building shapes, height, and street addresses. I have a cadfile of the same area with building footprints and street address loaded in Arcmap. I would like to extract the building footprints and street address from the cadfile and add it to the shapefile then extrude the building footprints to have a 3d city.

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hi,

I see. Yes, this has many stepping stones of things you need to know for the workflows you describe.

CityEngine especially will take you quite some time to learn. Typically, the very basics can be learned in about 3 days of full time work on CE. First productive results come after around 3 weeks full time and then it’s really open end to what your industry and goals are about. Most CityEngine professionals have invested at least 6 months in dedicated work with CityEngine.
    –> 3D is not easy!

In your case, I would recommend you should first work through the default CityEngine tutorials that ship with CityEngine (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/cityengine/10.2/index.html). Same with ArcGIS.
    Once you have the basics and the understanding and know that you indeed want to go forward, we can have an other look at how we can support you best.

BigCity
    Participant

Hello Matthias
    Thanks for the feedback I made some progress as well as setbacks. One of my setback is the cadfile I converted to a shapefile wouldn’t open in city engine. Did you ever run into this problem?

Matthias Buehler
    Matthias Buehler
    Participant

Hi,

I never converted CAD-Data into ShapeFile myself.

– What types of feature classes do you create? MultiPatch?
    – Are you getting any log entries in CE? Can you visualize the data in ArcGIS ArcScene?
    – Is your CAD data properly georeferenced?

Let me know.
    Matt

BigCity
    Participant

Hello Matt how it going? I took sometime off from working with cityengine do you still provide services for this product?

Elliot Hartley
    Elliot Hartley
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sadly Matt is no longer with us at Garsdale Design he has gone to work on movies in Canada using CityEngine (check out Independence Day 2)! Don’t worry we still do services in CityEngine, why don’t you drop us an email at info@garsdaledesign.co.uk and outline what you are looking for.

Elliot

Elliot Hartley - Director, Garsdale Design Limited

BigCity
    Participant

Thank you for replying to my post. I have a project that not complete in cityengine which I was looking for remote assistance with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.